Saturday, March 10, 2007

INTASC Standard #6

Communication
Skills

“The teacher uses knowledge of effective verbal,
nonverbal, and media communication techniques
to foster active inquiry, collaboration, and
supportive interaction in the classroom.”

artifacts

Creating shared vocabulary stories is one of my favorite things to do in my classroom. With with this activity, my students collaboratively come up with a story and I act as a scribe. I love the conversation that my students have together with our vocabulary words as they share ideas and negotiate story plots. This activity helps students to verbalize their thoughts and ideas in a group and I can observe to see if they understand the meanings of our vocabulary words.

Using bulletin boards for the students to refer to after we have studies a unit is a favorite. I beleive that if the students have that visual to refer to, even after it is taken down, they can picture it again in their minds and use the the information. We have our reading strategies, vocabulary words, and six traits writing up on the walls to refer to, also.
So I don't have to waist the students' time by calling roll each morning- We, as a class, effectivly communicate through our morning routine. They quietly enter the class and move their clip for breakfast and lunch. I can then take roll without having to disrupt the class as they work on their self-start.
Everyone knows their responsibility in our classroom, as they are posted on the back cabinet.

reflection

I believe children need to communicate in order to learn. They need opportunities for group interaction and a safe environment in which they feel comfortable in asking questions and expressing opinions. I strive in my classroom to provide many opportunities for students to talk to me and to each other.
I also believe that my students need personal communication with me everyday. When I talk to my students as a friend and equal instead of as an authority figure, I see a huge difference in how they respond to me. They work harder and behavior problems are much fewer. I realize that the way I speak and act towards my students says a lot to them about their worth and their place in the classroom. I work hard to make sure each one of them feels loved, needed, and respected. We have had many discussions and activities as a class encouraging them all to use effective communication towards everyone.

No comments: