Wednesday, March 14, 2007

INTASC Standard #4

Multiple Instructional
Strategies

“The teacher understands and uses a variety of
instructional strategies to encourage student
development of critical thinking, problem solving,
and performance skills.”
artifacts
Reading Center time in my classroom is a favorite with my students. I have different activities set up in different areas of my room and the students rotate to each center. Each day we do centers, the students have an opportunity to practice skills in reading, spelling, math, motor skills, and art or science. This picture shows the reading groups and their assignments and we use arrows showing which center they rotate to different days.


lTo help our struggling readers get the extra support they need, we are doing reading interventions this year. At the first of the year we tested the students on phonics, comprehension, spelling, and fluency. We regularly meet with the students who are at risk in any area and need extra help and motivation.
Reflection
I believe that teachers should be familiar with many different ways to teach to account for different learning styles. They should encourage active discovery of new ideas and unique ways of thinking about things. They should plan activities that encourage cooperation among peers. But most importantly, teachers should be aware of the abilities and needs of each student in their classroom and encourage each child to do their personal best. I have made a more conscious effort this year to account for diverse learners and to make sure I am being accommodating to the special needs of everyone in my classroom. I have come to realize that being “fair” does not mean that everyone gets the same thing, but that everyone gets what they need. I think our students have an advantage here because we have two different teachers in our classroom, which means they see things presented in different styles and from different view points

No comments: